September 26 - 28, 2017 (Preliminaries)
October 2 - 3, 2017 (Finals)
Lake Forest Symphony announces auditions for the positions of Assistant Principal Viola and Fourth Horn.
Applications must be postmarked no later than September 6, 2017
Lake Forest Symphony is a per service orchestra with a Collective Bargaining Agreement between LFS and the Chicago Federation of Musicians Union local 10208. Members must be a member of this union or willing to become a member upon winning a position with this orchestra.
HOW TO AUDITION
Send a one-page resume and a $50 deposit check (returned at audition time) payable to Lake Forest Symphony by September 6, 2017 to:
Lake Forest Symphony Orchestra
400 E. Illinois Rd.
Lake Forest, IL 60045
Lake Forest Symphony is an equal opportunity employer.
Midwest Young Artists
878 Lyster Road
Highwood, IL 60040
Assistant Principal Viola Repertoire
First movement of one of the following concertos:
- Bartok Viola Concerto
- Hindemith Der Schwanendreher
- Walton Viola Concerto
One movement from the Bach Suites for solo cello or the Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin (Applicant’s choice)
- Beethoven, Symphony No 5: 2nd mvt. beginning - m.10, m. 23 - 37, m. 72 - 86, pickup to m.99 - 106
- Bruckner, Symphony No. 4: 2nd Movement m.51 – 83, 3rd mvt. m. 113 - 150
- Mahler Symphony No. 10: beginning to m. 15, pickup to m. 105- 111
- Mendelssohn, Midsummer Night’s Dream Scherzo: B – D, pickup to 9 after H – 4 before L
- Mozart, Symphony No. 35 (“Haffner”): 1st mvt. m.41 - 66 and 4th mvt. m.134 - 181
- Prokofiev, Classical Symphony: 1st mvt. 8 before letter I to 1 before J, L to 11 after M, 4th mvt. D – through 1st ending, 7 before O - end.
- Brahms, Haydn Variations: Variations V, VII and VIII
- Shostakovich, Symphony No. 5: 1st mvt. 1 after #15 to -#17, 3 after #22 - downbeat of #25, m. 36 - 3 after #38
- Strauss Don Juan, beginning - 5 before D
- Tchaikowsky, Symphony No. 6, 1st mvt. m. 19-62
- Ginastera, Variaciones Concertantes: #32-#35
- Ravel, Mother Goose Suite: 5th mvt. 5 after #2 – 2 after #3
Sightreading may be requested.
FOURTH HORN Repertoire
Exposition of 1st mvt. of any Mozart Eb horn concerto
- Beethoven: Sym. 9, 4th horn, 3rd mvt., m.82-99
- Brahms: Piano Concerto #2, 4th horn, 2nd mvt., m.163-215
- Dvorak: Sym. 9, 4th horn, 1st mvt., m.16-27; 3rd mvt., 6 m. before reh. 3 to 8 m. after reh. 3
- Haydn: Sym. 90, 2nd horn, 4th mvt., m. 16-23
- Mahler: Sym. 1, 4th horn, 3rd mvt. 3 m. after reh. 13 to reh. 15
- Mendelssohn: Sym. 3, 4th horn, 2nd mvt., 7 m. before reh. F to 2 m. before reh. G
- Shostakovich: Sym. 5, 4th horn, 1st mvt. 2 m. after reh. 17 to reh. 21
- Strauss: Don Juan, 4th horn, 9 m. after reh. N to reh. P
- Strauss: Don Quixote, 4th horn, Var. 7 & 8
- Wagner: Das Rheingold, 4th horn, opening